clueless

Stacey Dash told Fox News, about the ongoing outrage over the lack of minority nominees in major categories, and turned the tables on networks like BET (Black Entertainment Television) for giving awards largely to black recipients.

“I think it’s ludicrous,” the Clueless alum told Steve Doocy. “We have to make up our minds. Either we want to have segregation or integration, and if we don’t want segregation, then we have to get rid of channels like BET and the BET Awards and the Image Awards, where you’re only awarded if you’re black. If it were the other way around, we’d be up in arms. It’s a double standard.”

She took it a step further by saying the U.S. should rid itself of Black History Month, which is celebrated in February. “There shouldn’t be a Black History Month,” she shared. “We’re Americans, period.” Dash became a trending topic on Twitter after the comments went viral. Commenters quickly called out TV personality.

BET then chimed in via Twitter, linking to a gallery produced by its website titled “Every Time Stacey Dash Proved She Was Clueless.” The network featured some of Dash’s recent controversies, including her comments from Wednesday morning. “She thinks there needs to be a white history month too, since, you know, our ancestors apparently fought for nothing,” BET’s caption read. “Clueless indeed.”

Amid the uproar, Dash again reiterated her points on her blog. “I’ve written about this before, but apparently people are going nuts over what I said on Outnumbered today,” Dash wrote, also bringing up Morgan Freeman’s past comments about Black History Month. (In an old appearance on 60 Minutes,Freeman called the celebration “ridiculous,” saying, “You’re gonna relegate my history to a month?”)

13 comments on “Stacey Dash wants to End Black History Month & the BET Awards – What are your thoughts on her comments?

1. donnamarie says:

That girl has serious issues!

2. cjackwrite81 says:

I think I get what she is saying in principle. That the history of all people of all color should be taught all year round. It is a bit odd that any race should be set apart and given just one month to focus on the accomplishments of its people. I think America’s history should promote the history from all races equally at all times. Not just for a shortened month.
    Just an opinion.

3. Sounds like she’s trying to get her fifteen minutes of fame back!

4. progbeawr831 says:

Like my comments on the Oscars, these day you will offend just about anyone with anything you say. In regards to Black History month, one can argue that other cultures are represented in schools, arguments can be made like where’s Native American (First Nations in Canada) Month, How about Chinese history month? etc etc etc. Perhaps a reevaluation of the history curriculum in schools is advisable and incorporate all walks of life and do segments on different cultures because every culture that graces the lands of the United States and Canada has people who have made a difference in their country’s past. When people like Stacey Dash makes comments as she has doesn’t give her carte blanche to speak on behalf of everyone who is Caucasian or other. She is but one individual who has opened her mouth and verbal diarrhea has fallen out. In today’s society and existence it’s difficult not offend someone nowadays BUT again like I had mentioned before, the internet is a wonderful and devastating weapon of both information and lies. Too many cooks spoil the broth and crowd the kitchen it seems to be and like other celebrity faces she uses her “presence” as such to convey what she thinks is intelligent speaking and be psychologically the answer to the masses of people who are still discovering what is really going on. This is not to say that we all need to sit in judgement here but she did not need to go on a tirade as such and shoot her gate off about things she clearly has no idea what she is talking about.

5. progbeawr831 says:

one last thing….. She wants to get rid of channels like BET…. She should see what we have up here in Canada where we have television programs that include all cultures and they have programs in their own language to accommodate the large number of cultures that make up the diversity of which Canada is made up of now. Maybe she should pick up the remote and see what else is on TV besides watching herself over and over. Did she forget that in the US there’s Telemundo for the large Hispanic population there? Wake Up and smell the multiculturalism!

6. vellissima says:

Still clueless after all these years.

7. Kim says:

Hi peoples. What’s the big deal? She is merely pointing out an opinion she holds. Maybe she’s given it some thought. I don’t even know her or her color but I like it when someone says something new. I like it when new is blended with old and guess what? I like it when we blend colors naturally because we like the coworker, the friend, the neighbor, and the trying is thrown out the window. Obviously some groups don’t have as good a chance, so the country tries to help. Does the government represent the country or the country represent the government? Ambigous I know, but we feel disjointed and not part of the same body. Maybe we should be Americans first and nationality, color, sex, and religion a very distant second or not recorded at all. Remember it says equality and justice for all.

8. Juana says:

I think the gist of what she’s saying is that we should all be equally celebrated and the histories should be equally taught across the board. I can agree with that. If we had equal representation at all times, we wouldn’t need to overcompensate with “special” representation.

• Juana says:

On second look and a more in-depth look at her commentary, I don’t think that’s the gist of what she was saying. That’s what Morgan Freeman was saying, but I think she had some convoluted idea of this and it all tumbled out of her mouth like word vomit; not eloquently, like it did from Morgan Freeman’s mouth.

I think we should all have equal representation at all times, but that’s not the reality we live in as of now.

9. BethanyEvans says:

I do understand her point. Equality for all in everything, not just in certain aspects, eliminating the need for special celebrations and considerations. I respect that she has her own opinion but she went about it completely the wrong way and said the complete opposite of what she should have said. She basically made a valid opinion just was a complete arse about it.

10. jesebell says:

Any award should be based on merit. Everyone seems to get butt hurt about everything now.
    We are all different shades of green!

11. adriennea3 says:

It would be nice if we could exist in a world where there was equality for all. The Oscars are a small part of the problem. I wish I could go outside my house and not be reminded of my color. I wish I could go to the store and when a person sees me that they would not clutch their purses or lock their door out of fear. I wish I could go to work and because of my color I couldn’t possibly know what I’m doing. Imagine living everyday in this world. It nice to think that we could live in a equal world but everyone doesn’t think like that and continue to perpetuate racism.