10 Old-Fashioned Dating Habits We Should Bring Back

Most of us are too young to know about old-fashioned dating habits. But if you’ve seen old movies, then you know men used to call a lady to ask her on a date several days before. Then come date night, he’d show up all dressed up at her door with a bouquet of flowers, and take her to the movies. What if old-fashioned dating habits came back in style?

old-school

#1. Getting picked up at the door.
No more of this texting or calling to say “I’m outside”, but actually getting out of the car and walking to the door. It takes just a minute and makes all the difference in the world. It’s a date, it’s special, and should be treated as such.

#2. Bring a small gift or flowers.
It’s thoughtful, kind, and a way of showing affection. Whenever I visit a friend, I always bring a little gift, whether it be a card, some fruit, or pieces of chocolate. It’s a nice little gesture to show that you care. Never go empty handed.

#3. Dress up for a date.
I don’t mean wear a formal, but at least wear nice clothes and put some effort into your appearance. Wear the special dress you’ve been saving, or the new shirt you got for your birthday that you haven’t gotten to wear yet. Dress to impress.

#4. Ask someone out on a REAL date.
None of this “meet you there” or “hanging out.” I have girlfriends who tell me all the time… “no one ever asks them out on official dates…” It’s easy, you just call someone and ask them out on a date, or ask them in person. No texting either.

#5. Open the car door for your date.
This will surely get your date’s attention. I knew a guy who always opened and closed the car door for me and I was charmed by his chivalry. Unfortunately, I found out later that his door didn’t shut and close properly, and he only was doing that so it wouldn’t rattle. Oh well!

#6. Make introductions.
If you’re out on a date with someone and you see an old friend who you want to stop and chat with, ALWAYS introduce your date. Even if you forget the person’s name. It’s just plain rude if you don’t.

#7. Don’t expect sex.
A person might flirt with you and may really like you, but that doesn’t mean the two of you will be having sex, so don’t ever assume it. It will happen if and when you are BOTH ready. Always be respectful.

#8. Put the cell phone away.
Remember when you were a kid eating dinner with the family? No one dared to use the phone while everyone was eating. We need to be able to communicate to the person we’re with… the person sitting right in front of us. We have all the time in the world to use our cell phones when other people aren’t around.

#9. Send a homemade card or romantic gesture to show you care.
Write a poem or song, paint something, or give a little handmade surprise. It’s a great way to let the person know you’re thinking of them. My boyfriend has given me many cards over the years, but my absolute favorites are the homemade ones. I cherish them.

#10. Be clear on where you stand with each other.
Most people are a little shy when it comes to asking, but it needs to be known after spending time together. Are we a couple? Are we seeing each other exclusively? It can be very confusing and people can get hurt, so just be direct.

What do you think, will these old-fashioned ways come back in style? If you liked these ideas, share them with your friends and family. Maybe one of them has a date this weekend!

Credit: http://www.lifebuzz.com

24 comments on “10 Old-Fashioned Dating Habits We Should Bring Back

1. Cielo says:

I agree with this post 10/10…so reblogging this..

2. Cielo says:

Reblogged this on Ways of life and commented:
    I am in agreement with this 100%… ❤ ❤

3. mommyx4boys says:

I love this post, and totally agree. 🙂

4. Reblogged this on Be careful – You are not in Wonderland and commented:
    Ahh wouldn’t this be lovely?

5. meetsunshine says:

Reblogged this on Chasingthesun and commented:
    I totally agree. These simple gestures are really appreciated by us, women.

6. Reblogged this on My Life and Other Tragedies and commented:
    It’s always the little things that count in life, the extras that cost nothing but make all the difference…

7. zahr93 says:

Reblogged this on simple pleasures and commented:
    So. Legit.

8. Jodi Lea says:

You are absolutely right! Dating needs to come back – look at the divorce rates! Hanging out or texting 90% of the time doesn’t help you know someone. When I was in high school, no one dated. They “went together”. Girls never were asked out on dates, it was understood you belonged to the guy you were ‘going with’. Except you never went anywhere, so what was the point?
    J

9. lambsauce says:

My old boss, who is BAD ASS, told me a story one time about a boy who had asked her out. When she opened the door he was standing there in ripped jeans with a five o’clock shadow. He was all “I’m here for our date” and she told him “not dressed like that – come back when you’re serious.” She didn’t go out with him because he was too Db to even understand the problem. This was probably about 20 years ago now. Her daddy raised her to only accept the best and that’s what she did. These “old fashioned” tips should totally be brought back!

10. Put It Together 4 U says:

Reblogged this on Angela's Accurate Administrative Services' Blog and commented:
    100% accurate! I am ‘old school’. My husband still opens doors for me, brings home flowers simply because he knows I appreciate them, and a host of other things mentioned here. LOVE this blog!

11. amaridawn says:

Reblogged this on Through My Spectacles and commented:
    I am so glad that someone is bringing attention to proper dating etiquette. People need to be reminded!

12. bridjview says:

this no joy. i am young but grow up in an old fashion home so this is bread in me. i even told a friend from hi school the same thing yesterday. bring back the good old days

13. libredevivre says:

You had me at #1. Love this.

14. mslunaafter6 says:

Reblogged this on Where the Fence is Low.

15. […] I was reading another blog and stumbled upon a post about old-fashioned dating and elements we should bring back. I am a very classic and traditional person in the sense of […]

16. A Northerner says:

Very interesting read. A have posted a response blog with a modified list at http://notinthenorth.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/old-school-dating/ 🙂

17. This might sound strange but I kinda thought that guys still did that. Well maybe not all of the ten things but certainly the “going to the door” and “bringing flowers” step. I probably wouldn’t date a guy if he didn’t even care enough to come to the door.

18. Reblogged this on Katsized and commented:
    I couldn’t agree more with this article!

19. wr1ghtlexi says:

Hello, first I want to thank you for stopping by my page! Second, I agree with ALL 10 steps that should be brought back to dating/romance! Some guys will do some of the things off of that list but I cannot remember the last time I saw a guy who did all 10. 🙂

20. […] 10 Old-Fashioned Dating Habits We Should Bring Back. […]

21. RaiBal says:

Reblogged this on Rain's Writing Realm and commented:
    This is a great find! Especially for us Romance writers. Lots of great ideas to use when creating character aspect, or just plain wanting to BRING IT BACK by way of your novel.