WRITTEN BY RYAN FU @FU_BEATZ
True Detective –Episode 3 Maybe Tomorrow
(Spoiler Alert) – Tomorrow is not Promised
First off, congrats to the Unites States Women’s soccer team winning their third World Cup over Japan, showing us how important it is to strike first and often because it puts your opponent in a more of a defense stance, making them hesitate to strike back. This principle is the same with True Detective as the mysterious killer or killers sends a message to Frank Semyon by almost killing his crooked cop, Ray Velcoro. Fortunately, Ray survived which Frank now knows that someone is out to get him, jeopardizing his business and family. But Frank is not a man, who gets easily intimidated because he usually is the one bullying and pushing other people as we finally see the real Frank in this episode.
In the first couple of episodes of TD, we saw the controlled version of Frank Semyon, a former gangster trying walk the righteous path. He didn’t swear, didn’t drink, and defiantly didn’t do anything that would show him lose his composure. But people are killing his friends, destroying his business, putting his family at risk and sending a message that his life is being threatened, no wonder he can’t his dick hard for his wife. His life in unraveling before his eyes and he doesn’t know what to do, except to do what he knows best. He reverts back to the old drinking, swearing gansta Frank Semyon as he gathers the band back together. He takes the crew to visit old friends trying to gather more information on who gave the tip that nearly killed Ray. At the basement of the club he questions the people who run the business now trying to get help from them but those dudes don’t respect Frank anymore because they believe he just another guy in a expensive suit. But Frank is not a bitch, so he had to show everyone by fucking up Danny Santos played by Pedro Miguel Arce and ripping his “Fuck You” grille. Putting everyone on notice that Frank is fucking back and I cannot wait for the following episodes because I love this version of Vince Vaughn’s character unlike the new Colin’s character Ray Velcoro.
After his near death experience he wakes up from his dream state that had his dad, a former police officer played by Fred Ward in same bar where he usually drinks with a Las Vegas singer playing in the background. He tells Rachel McAdams character Ani that he found the same clues that he found in Casper’s first house but didn’t have any other leads to go on accept for a video camera that was taken on the scene. He then goes to the hospital to be cleared for duty, which that doctors tell him to take it easy before clearing him back to duty but asks him a really important question:
“Do you want to live?”
That question really shook up Ray more that the buckshot to the chest because until now he was quietly fading into oblivion. He was more dead than alive. Now I think he wants to live more than ever by drinking less and trying to show his wife that he can be a good influence to their son. He is also trying to show Ani that he can be trusted as a partner. I’m glad that he’s alive and has new found hope in life but I hope this doesn’t kill the character I loved seeing for the last couple of episodes. I mean I hope he’s still bat shit crazy but in a positive way.
But the biggest lesson we learned from this episode and with the United States Women soccer team winning the World Cup is that in a battle, you need to strike first and often because you want to show your opponent that you mean fucking business. Plus, just like the title of this episode “Maybe Tomorrow,” you have to take chances and try to win the game or accomplish your goals now because tomorrow doesn’t exist, there is only today.
“Tomorrow is promised to no one.” – Clint Eastwood
- I kinda knew that Ray was still alive but it would have been dope if he was dead
- Ray’s pot smoking dad is wonderfully played by Fred Ward, which you might know him from Escape from Alcatraz or the underrated movie called Tremors. You know you loved that movie.
- In that Vince Vaughn scene did it look like he was getting a blowjob because it kinda looked like he was taking a shit, which throughout this whole season he looked constipated.
- I knew I wasn’t the only one that wanted that “Fuck you” grille. “How can you greet the world like that?”
- “Like I got a gun at my head. When I take a shit, hey make it a good one.” I know that feeling.
- Taylor Kitsch’s character Paul Wooddrugh background is so boring. It’s like we get it bro, you’re fucked up veteran, who might be gay. Move on and have sex with Rachel McAdams already. (A bit of gossip, they might be dating in real life.) “Is that a fucking E-Cig?”
- Congrats once again to the Women of the United States Soccer Team for winning the World Cup. We can finally stop pretending that we like soccer until the next World Cup or Olympics. Real Talk. When is football back? Seriously, real football I mean.
Photo Credit: Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Check out our TD Season 2 Reviews