WRITTEN BY RYAN FU @FU_BEATZ
True Detective – Episode 7 Black Maps and Motel Rooms
Spoiler Alert – Being in the closet might Kill You
With only two episodes left of True Detective, this episode did not fail to meet our expectations for the show because it was simply so entertaining and suspenseful. I was at the edge my seat this whole episode after the last episode with the sex party orgy, which I watched several times for clues about the case of course for the show. (You perverts) The League of Justice are dealing with the aftermath of what they did, which was saving a girl, grabbing information about secret land deals and killing a man with a butter knife. The mark of a good story, show or movie has always been when they kill a likeable character in order to better the storyline making the entire piece more believable and entertaining. This second to last episode of TD had everything you wanted in an episode including those devious plot twists.
Starting with the full-blown gangsta Frank Semyon, played by Vince Vaughn, who had the best performance besides from Taylor Kitsch because he finally embraced what he really is, which is a gangsta but still hates being called that. After beating and killing is former BFF, he finds out that everyone is out to get him from the start. He tells his boys to “lock it up” and “batten down the hatches,” cause Hurricane Frank is coming for everyone as he gets his ducks in a row. He tells his wife to go on an extended vacation because he has to clean house before he goes on his going away voyage. I loved seeing Vince being a tough guy in this episode even though I laughed each time he delivered a tough guy line. I can’t wait what he has in store for us in the finale, which I hope he starts wearing that “Fuck You,” grille. The other two gangstas aren’t feeling so gangsta at all because Ray and Ani are feeling like they have been played.
Ani is dealing with the fallout with being in that sex party being drugged, remembering a painful memory that she suppressed, which brought up some fucked up feelings. She shared those feelings with her holistic hippy spiritual nut of a father but he just regretted not taking those knives away from her. To make it worse the girl who Ani saved tells her that she wasn’t forced to be there. She liked having gross European men over the age of 50 gangbang her all over a weird cabin in the woods. She tells her family that they are not safe and need to leave ASAP Rocky.
Meanwhile, Ray is still trying to be a good guy for change as he stops Ani’s sexual advances for him when she was high on molly, which was pretty impressive to see coming from Ray. But I guess I wouldn’t be turned on as well, after seeing Ani kill a man under 3 minutes. It’s like getting a hard-on watching Ronda Rousey beat the shit out of some under qualified competitor. Ray and Ani put the pieces together as he tries to present the case to the State Attorney but someone caps her with one of Ray’s guns totally making Ray and Ani as the fall guys. Ray and Ani are fugitives, which they have to rely on Woodrugh because he’s the only clean one now. But as all know now that Woodrugh has plenty of ghosts in his closet, which can scare anyone.
Woodrugh gets a sexted with a picture of his Marine buddy, playing Battlefield with their penises. If you didn’t understand that picture Brokeback Mountain as Marines and Woodrugh being a sergeant having to physically discipline his soldiers HARD. (Sorry, I had to.) As he gets closer in solving the case he gets black mailed with the pictures with his buddy. Woodrugh feels like his cover has been blown so he brings his trailer trash mom and baby mama to a motel room for old school romantic movies and room service. I believed Taylor Kitsch gave his best performance besides the episode with that wicked street gunfight, in which his performance tonight was so good. You could feel every emotion coming off him. This whole season he was running away from his demons. He even wanted to kill himself a couple of times this season, but in the end just like the rest of all of us. We all want to live. Woodrugh gets trapped by a secret catalyst security force, which he has to fight out again in order to survive. I don’t know about you but I wanted him to survive because it seems like he just had a really shit life and he was just started a family. But life isn’t fair and only bad men get away with it in the end.
I loved the homage to season one of True Detective as Ani tells Ray that he isn’t a bad man, which Ray replies that I am a bad man. In season one Martin asks Rust this question, which Rust replies giving the tone of season.
Martin: You wonder ever if you’re a bad man?
Rust: No I don’t wonder Marty. The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door.
We need Ray and Ani to figuratively be bad men including gangsta ass Frank to be really bad asses in the season finale, which is fucking 90 minutes long. (Amazing) They need to be tough as nail because the men at the door are bad as fuck. The world still needs bad men to keep other bad men from the door.
- Ray “You want me to roll a joint?” Always
- Ray telling she’s out of his league. Agh, dude don’t you have a crazy hot brunette wife?
- How much do you love Frank’s wife commitment to this relationship? Dude is dead on the office floor, honey you need to go on a trip.
- Frank “I found a brand new orifice so I can fuck myself.” – Classic
- Difference between a pimp and a whore? – A whore can still have integrity
- “You fucked up being alone in this room.” – I’m going to say that every time I’m alone with anyone, totally scare the shit out of them.
- “Look me in the eyes, I want to see your lights go out.” Hardest gangsta line I’ve heard from Frank.
- I can see Frank working at Applebees but I would always be afraid he wouldn’t come back with my bottomless refill of fries because he is always checking out for gas leaks trying to blow up the restaurant.
- Is being a captain on a ship on Frank’s wishlist along with automatic weapons and unregistered cars?
- How hot was that fake fireplace in that motel? I want the same fake fireplace the next time I have awkward sex with a person I totally don’t know.
- The kidnapped girl totally shut down Ani: “You were put on Earth more than Fucking.” To which she replies: “Everything is fucking.” In your face knife girl!
- 3 hugs in one day is a record of Ani but not killing a man under 3 minutes because she can do that in her sleep.
- Woodrugh was the toughest closet war veteran I’ve ever seen. RIP Paul Woodrugh
Check out our TD Season 2 Reviews
Church in Ruins
Down Will Come
The Night Finds You
The Western Book of the Dead
True Detective | World Needs Bad Men
THE HATED ONES
Buy it on Amazon.com